Monday 13 May 2013

Getting back into it


After a very long break from blogging and maintaining an internet presence, I am finally finding more leisure time to start and sew/create and blog about it again.....

I have a very large backlog of things I want to share with the world and hope to start working through them slowly.....

Rather than starting in a backwards fashion, I may as well blog about my recent escapades, namely this past weekend at Cilgerran Castle to begin with as it is the freshest event in my mind right now.

This past weekend (11th and 12th May) involved lots of fun, (despite the typical British weather intervening) taking part in a Living History weekend at Cilgerran Castle, Pembrokeshire.


We arrived early on Saturday morning to unpack the war wagon (our tiny Fiat car) and set-up the display.
I then left the men to play hitty-fighty while I zipped up to my Weavers, Spinners, Dyers Guild meeting in Celaeron.

I missed the main talk of the day, however there were some amazing woven braids on display and some Kumihimo braiding kits for sale.  I also bought myself a wooden warping frame, which I am particularly pleased with!!!

After a very brief catch up with my friends at the Guild, I zipped back down to the Castle to finish setting up our display.

We chose to spend the night nearby, rather than get totally soaked camping overnight (a good call I think as our ground sheet was sodden!)

Anyway...I digress...this post is all about the 'Celebrating William Marshall' Day at the castle...

We were all set up and fully costumed up by 10am, after spending the damp morning oogling and drooling over the 4 beautiful birds of prey that were brought to the event by Pembrokeshire Falconry.

There were also several members of the Pembrokeshire WSD Guild present, providing a spinning display and selling their wares in a gazebo opposite our camp - due to the poor weather they left rather early, meaning I was not able to purchase any of the lovely manx loughton yarn they had for sale (sad face!)


Chainmail and Pewter


Frodo the whitefaced owl


Lord Rhys (aka Sean) with Scarlet the red kite


Castle chocolate!


The view from above

A very fun day was had, along with many discussions of future events, I really hope to be able to take part in this event again, and that the plans people have for other local events come to fruition.








No comments:

Post a Comment